Hemorrhoids are no laughing matter. While people may joke about them, they can be incredibly painful and difficult to live with. At Premier Family Medical, we understand this issue completely, and thankfully, we are pleased to offer the latest treatment for internal hemorrhoids–hemorrhoid banding (a.k.a., hemorrhoid ligation). Here is a little more information on this procedure and what to expect should you have Dr. Crop or Dr. Layton perform the procedure.
You will come in, get undressed from the waist down, and lay on the procedure table. Next, the doctor will use the anoscope to locate the hemorrhoids and look for anal fissures or tears.
A ligator is inserted to take hold of the hemorrhoid for the doctor to release a rubber band at its base. You may feel some pressure, but you should not feel pain. Your doctor can use a numbing agent if needed, but most patients do not feel anything at all once the bands are in place.
Your doctor will then withdraw the instruments, give you some instructions and/or medication to take home with you, and you are free to get dressed and return to normal activities right away.
Because everyone has three hemorrhoidal columns, most patients will need to return for a total of three treatments.
Benefits of This Procedure
It seems strange to talk about the benefits of hemorrhoid banding surgery, but as Dr. Layton and Dr. Crop see it, there are too many not to discuss.
- You do not need to be sedated for this procedure.
- The procedure is done in-office–you don’t have to go to the hospital or wait for a surgical suite to open up.
- The procedure is quick, painless, and 99% effective.
- You can return to work and other activities right away.
- You can drive yourself to and from the office. There is no need to request a ride.
- The banded hemorrhoids quickly die from lack of circulation and come right out with a bowel movement, often unnoticed.
- The scar tissue at the site of banding prevents the nearby blood vessels from forming additional hemorrhoids.
If you still have concerns but are interested in the procedure, please don’t hesitate to call Premier Family Medical Practice and ask to speak to either Dr. Layton or Dr. Crop. They would be more than happy to help you with your questions and concerns!